Sunday, May 26, 2013

Our Colonial Williamsburg Vacation

Hi, guys! Hope you are all having a nice holiday weekend.  My husband and I were on vacation this week in Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia.  It is one of my favorite places to visit as I just love the way history comes to life right in front of you!  The gardens there are simply amazing.  Great people, sunny weather and delicious food all added to the great time we had there.  I thought I would share some of my photos and experiences with you today.

The gardens are plentiful there.  There are formal gardens at the Governor's Palace, and many informal gardens throughout the Colonial area.






They also have tons of vegetable and kitchen gardens there, too!  I love this shot of some of their cabbages!


Each day the Revolutionary City came alive with conversations with our founding fathers, re-enactments and even parades!  We all took part in a march with the fife & drum corps to the Capitol to hear the reading of the Declaration of Independence.  It is truly one of the most touching activities we took part in and one I will never tire of.




There are plenty of animals throughout the Colonial area.  They have a rare breed program where they are working on keeping some animals from becoming extinct.   We got to take a carriage ride and learned that our pair of horses were the ones who pulled Queen Elizabeth's carriage when she visited Williamsburg!




If you ever get the opportunity to visit, I highly recommend you make sure you see and experience a visit with Patrick Henry.  He is very moving and inspiring.  After hearing him speak (this was my fifth visit), I came home wanting to write letters on matters that I feel need to be addressed in various areas of government!


I hope you enjoyed visiting with me today and sharing a bit of the Colonial Williamsburg experience.   I hope to share more with you on another day.

Before I end,  I want to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for us to enjoy the freedoms and liberty we have here in the United States.  Thank you to all our military and their families and may we all remember them tomorrow as we celebrate Memorial Day.

Until next time!

12 comments:

Dawn's Stamping Garden said...

Looks like a great trip, Winnie! Thank you for sharing! Colonial Williamsburg has always been a dream trip for us. Hope we can work it in!

Lynn Mercurio said...

What great photos from what looks to be a fabulous trip. Such history, right? Makes one proud to be a U.S. citizen!

Sorry to hear about your beloved cherry tree...Springtime can reek havoc on the landscaping!

Jill Norwood said...

Winnie I love all of your photos! I hope to go someday! It looks like it was so beautiful! I would have loved the reading of the Declaration of Independence!
Hugs,
Jill

Kali said...

Great pics, looks like it was a fantastic visit. I haven't been in years and it was a favorite place to go when I lived in the east

Marcy said...

Wow, great photos and looks like an awesome trip!

Anonymous said...

Wow what an awesome trip!! I love your photos and so glad that I got to see them! Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip with us all. God bless! Jan

Esther Asbury said...

Williamsburg is a favorite day trip for our family! We traditionally go at Christmas time to see all the live greenery and beautiful (real fruit) wreaths! It was also our honeymoon spot 14 years ago!! Lovely pics!

Unknown said...

Looks like you guys had a great vacation. Williamsburg is a beautiful area surrounded with history. xo

Larissa T. said...

Oh that is so pretty! It looks like such fun! Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing and for linking up! :)

MiamiKel said...

OMG WInnie, your pictures are amazing, I feel like I was right there with you! You look GREAT!! What a fun little trip and a great way to remember the real beauty of our country, which we oft forget in the busy-ness of life :)

and seriously, my FAVE pic is the solo one of the sheep, lol! He has this like "Hey, 'sup" look on his face, ROFL!!!

TFS!

MaryAnne said...

What a neat vacation! I really want to take my kids to Williamsburg.

Alexis Crossland-Smith said...

Looks like you had a fantastic vacation - Thanks for sharing all your photos!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!