Sunday, July 15, 2012

Green Acres ... and Green Chimneys

Hi, guys!  Sorry I have been missing awhile, but with the summer comes weekends away with family and friends.  I have lots of cards to make this week and will be sitting down to work tonight.

I thought I would share with you how I spend part of my weekend.   My husband and I went up to visit with my brother and his family for a bit and then went to visit with my husband's family for a barbecue. When we got to my brother's home, I got to meet his newest family additions.   He has started raising 6 chickens!  That may not sound like anything to those of you who live in the country, but for someone from NYC, it is rather exciting and a bit scary, too.   I think they are so pretty to look at but I was afraid to pick one up.  I would look at their feet and they were intimidating to me.  But you will see that my brother convinced me that they didn't mind one bit. (Insert theme song from Green Acres!)




I thought it was nice of her to allow me to take her picture before she decided she wanted none of it. One of the chickens has started to lay eggs, but the rest should start at the end of September some time. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Next, my brother took us to Green Chimneys. They are a fine organization.  We got to see the animals they have rescued and meet some of the fine children who live there as well.  It was such a great place and I can't think of a finer way to help children and animals who are in need of assistance.   They also have a country store and I was able to buy some maple syrup and other things to assist with supporting their organization.  I promised two of the kids we would be back in the fall to get our pumpkins from them.

Here are some of the animals receiving care (and love) at their facility.









If you are ever in Putnam County, New York, I would highly recommend you pay Green Chimneys a visit. They would love to see you!

Well, enjoy the rest of your weekend.  I promise to have more INKY creations posted this week.  Enjoy the rest of your day!

4 comments:

Dizzy Ms. Lizzy said...

I understand how it would be a bit different for someone from NYC being in a country setting! When my Mom came out to Illinois for the first time to meet Dad's family, they took her to his cousin's dairy farm, where she got too close to a cow, who promptly peed on her dress! She was pretty embarrassed, but they got a real kick out of it.

Also, when some of our cousins came out here to visit (probably back in the 70's), Mom and Dad took them to their small town's Sale Barn where they were auctioning off livestock and other farm "things" - - which pretty much amazed them. But then what REALLY amazed them was when we took them to the Amish community about 35 miles from here, and they got to see how the Amish live with no electricity, horse-drawn farm implements, and everything else. That really amazed them! :-)

Unknown said...

That sounds like you had a wonderfull time with family! :-)And what a lovely organization indeed!

Margaret said...

Looks like a fabulous time with your family. If it's hot where your brother lives, usually the chickens don't lay as much. I have a GF at work who also raises chickens - mostly for show, but they do lay eggs too. I love getting fresh eggs from her.

Kathy said...

That sounds like a fun and interesting experience! You are brave, I don't know if I would feel comfortable holding a chicken. It seems to be more and more common for people to have them. I do think it's cool, but am not sure how I would do myself with them.

Green Chimneys sounds like a great place too. Thank you for sharing about it.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!