Monday, March 17, 2014

Lots of Inky Fun This Weekend - Went To My First Pen Show!

Did you ever wonder what would happen if you lost television for one day? Well, near the end of last year we did lose our dish for one full day, and my husband has teased me about the aftermath ever since.  During those twenty-four hours I busied myself watching YouTube and stumbled on two fun fountain pen lovers channels (Goulet Pens, SBRE Brown).  I watched them and was fascinated.  I developed a love for these pens and the wonderful inks.   So this weekend my husband and I attended our first pen show (LI Pen Show) at Hofstra University in Hempstead, Long Island.  Well, it was so much fun and I learned a lot.  I thought I would share my adventure with you today.

It was not a large pen show, but perfect for a local, or someone who is a newbie like myself.  I was very glad I got to meet Lisa and Brian Anderson of Anderson Pens.  I have heard their podcasts, and have read great things about them.  Lisa helped me pick out inks and Brian helped with our pen and paper purchases.  I also picked up an amazing leather clutch case after asking for Lisa's opinion.  I can't recommend Anderson Pens enough, as they really are wonderful.

My haul:




As you can see, I picked up a lot of fun things! You may notice that there are also three sticks of sealing wax and a metal seal that is in the shape of a gear which reminded me of my Tim Holtz/steampunk gears. My husband came home and made me a box for my pens using an old tea box I had and this red lining we picked up at the fair. It turned out so nice and I love that he was able to recycle and reuse an old tea box.



Isn't it pretty?  This is going to look great on my work desk and keeps my pens at my fingertips.

I am so glad that I have discovered this new hobby.  I think it goes hand-in-hand with my card making hobby.

Tonight I will be loading up all my pens with my new inks, and can't wait to write some letters. I am having lots of fun writing letters to pen pals, too! Maybe I should turn off the TV more often?







8 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, this looks like so much fun! I LOVE a good pen, though I have to stick to Wal-mart for my purchases most of the time. And your hubby did a wonderful job on your box, so beautiful! :)

Geri Neumann said...

Oh my...it looks like you had a lot of fun at the pen show! Excellent job hubby did on your tea box for your pens, what a sweetie! I haven't used wax and seals for a long time, and they are gorgeous on cards. Have fun playing and writing with your new pens. Hugs. Geri

MiamiKel said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh your post today has me smiling from ear to ear! Soul sister! I absolutely love this! What a joy it must have been to visit the pen show. I confess I have never been to one but not for lack of wanting! I am admiring your choices and the inks to go with - I can just picture you at your desk touching each one and chosing the 'right' one. How joyous of your husband to make the beautiful recycled tea box one for your pens! He's a keeper! I took calligraphy all through High School - a dying art, if you will - and it still comes back to me today using those pens and filling out certificates ♥ Have a great day and enjoy those pens!!

Elizabeth said...

Ha! You're seriously hooked! What fun!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

What a marvelous collection of pens and seals you've purchased! Nothing looks or feels as refined as using these kind of instruments to write, so I know you'll enjoy them. I can't wait to see what you do with them. I've never been to a pen show, but I have purchased some fine pens, inks and wax seals at specialty shops that I use for special occasions. Blessings!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Very interesting. My hairdresser's husband makes wooden fountain pens and I've been wondering if I should buy one. I'm not sure where I'd get ink for it other than Staples. Will you be using yours exclusively now, and not ballpoint ink?

Bernideen said...

Now interesting - sounds like you had a great time and came home inspired. These should go nicely with your cards you design.

PlanetKimberly said...

The pen box is cute and so creative! And I love the inks you got at the show. As an artist who draws with ink, I look at those and just go "Ooooh! They're so beautiful!"

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!