Friday, March 21, 2014

Happy 40th Birthday (Masculine Handyman Theme)

One of my favorite parts about card making is the ability to customize a card for someone by using their hobbies, profession or even their favorite colors.  My friend Christine asked me to make a card for a special uncle's 40th birthday.  The info I was given was that he is a very handy person, and is always the first to lend a hand on house projects and is great with tools.  This is the card I came up with:

Supplies:
Paper: Core-dinations, Ten Seconds Studio Metal Sheet
Ink: Distress Ink (Barn Door)
Misc.: Tim Holtz Alterations Rulers Embossing Folder, Bringing Crafts to You Embossing Folder
Tim Holtz Sanding Tool, Silver Cord

I used the Rulers embossing folder for the background as every handyman I know has a tape measure and/or a ruler close at hand and used my sanding tool over it to show the core in the paper.  I thought it would be fun to highlight the "40" in the folder with Distress Ink as a way to include his age in a different way.  I used the sanding block over the metal sheet to give the tools a metallic look.

Christine was very happy with it, and I am looking forward to hearing back from her after she gives it to her uncle.

Wishing you a great weekend ahead!  I am hoping that spring will show itself a bit and it will be warm enough to get outside a bit in my yard to assess what will need to be done after this hard winter!

Until next time!





6 comments:

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

What a fabulous masculine card! Love the embossing detail!

Esther Asbury said...

Oh my -- I love that embossing folder! What a cute card!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

The rulers embossing folder worked perfectly with your card design, especially since you did it in the traditional yellow used by handymen. I love the miniature tools too, and the clever way in which you highlighted his age on the ruler background. Blessings!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

A fun masculine card, they're sometimes hard to create.

Geri Neumann said...

Hi Winnie. I've thought about buying the embossing folder you used and now I will get it for sure. Your card is wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Geri

Margaret said...

What a great embossing folder. The card is just great.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!