Saturday, January 26, 2013

On Top of Spaghetti (Nope, Penne!)

Hi, guys!  Thought I would share a find with you today.  My husband and I LOVE meatballs. It is a shared love, and I still haven't perfected my mother's recipe.  But, luckily, I have discovered a great recipe by a family located here on Long Island.  They were featured on Bobby Flay's Throwdown Show, and I figured if they can beat Bobby, I would try them. Oh my word!  They are delicious and easy.  The Maroni family recipe was a hit with my husband as well.  The problem for me is that he cannot have tomatoes.  He is allergic, and so I can't simmer them all in a pot of sauce.  I take the batch and divide it and put mine in sauce and leave his plain (I get the better end of this deal!). They are very moist, so he doesn't mind them not being in a sauce.  I normally serve his with the pasta on the side sauced with pesto, alfredo, or butter and cheese.

I have NOT made their sauce yet, so I can't comment on it yet.  I have so many sauce recipes I keep trying them out and having fun.  This weekend I made a sauce from Stanley Tucci (yes, the great actor)'s cookbook.  It is a new book for me, and it is a fun one.  I made the recipe for Joan's Basic Sauce and it was so delicious and not a large batch.  I found the addition of a tablespoon of bell pepper to be an amazing touch. You don't taste "pepper" but it gives it a nice taste.





Off to get my fingers inky, and hopefully have some fun stuff to share with you soon!

Until next time!

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Your poor husband!! I can't imagine being allergic to tomatoes, hopefully he's been allergic all his life, and didn't develop the allergy later on, so he doesn't actually know what he's missing!

Thanks for sharing the recipe--I love meatballs but am usually lazy and just make a meat sauce instead!

Marcy said...

That looks Delish Winnie! I just watched one of his shows recently. I'm trying to diet this new year but love watching all the cooking shows and getting new recipes so thanks for sharing! Hope you're having a great weekend! :)

Liesl Garner said...

You Cook! And take pictures! I love it. My husband does all the cooking. I just put everything together and call it casserole, and that does not work at my house! Ha.

This looks awesome!

Jill Norwood said...

Winnie - this post just made me smile and feel really, really hungry! This is my son's favorite food!! He just LOVES sphagetti and meatballs! Mmmm! Good!

Barbara Bakes said...

How awful to be allergic to tomatoes. So fun to see a recipe on your site. The meatballs sounds like a must try.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!