Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Widowhood, Twenty Wishes and Bread

Hi, guys.  Hope you are having a great day.  I have been asked lately about my foray into bread baking. I thought I would share the why, when and how with you today.

I was widowed 6 years ago. During that time, my sister would supply me with TONS of books. Most of them had a young widow in the story (coincidence, I think not!). I fell in love with one of the books she gave me entitled TWENTY WISHES by Debbie Macomber. It focused on a widow group and an exercise they did where they each listed twenty wishes they had for themselves. At this point in my life, I found it very healing to sit and think about what I wanted in my life. The wishes in the story were not the usual "I want to win the lottery" type.  They were things you could do, work towards or places to visit, etc. - all obtainable with work. On my list was to learn to make good French bread.  Crusty, yummy bread. A good friend gave me a book for Christmas that was supposed to help me learn and, boy, did it ever. It is entitled ARTISAN BREAD IN FIVE MINUTES A DAY. I was skeptical, but I really wanted to learn. So, I dove right into the dough (and my fingers were NOT inky, but pristine!). The bread is delicious. I have been making the master recipe and will move on to the others eventually.  I just can't believe how easy -  and good - it is. Note: The title of the book may be a bit of a misnomer, as it refers to the mixing of the dough. You will need more time than 5 minutes to bake it off, but, boy, is it worth it.













I highly recommend you give it a try. The link above takes you to the authors' site where they will explain the science and the "how it works."

My personal list of wishes is 17 so far and growing. It is a great exercise for anyone, not just those who have been widowed.  What is life without having any wishes for yourself? I have been very fortunate in that I have had another wish come true.  I have found love again and have remarried! Can't wait to see what other wishes come true down the road!

Hope you have a great day and find a few moments in your day to do something you love, or maybe to try something new.   Maybe bake some bread?

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Very inspirational -- TFS! My Dad passed away in 2008 just befor his birthday, just before Christmas. My mom still struggles, and I worry about her a lot. I'm going to recommend that book. Thank you!

Margaret said...

I'm in awe of anyone who can make good bread. Looks so yummy.

Congrats on your new marriage. I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing more from you.

Unknown said...

all your works very beautiful and interesting! and yet your bread, appetizing. when all does have time? hello from Ukraine

Lynn Mercurio said...

Wow...what a talent bread making is. This has been an obstacle for me forever...I even gave up and bought a bread machine (that does all the work for you). So I'm totally enamored with what you have accomplished to perfect. I can almost smell the delicious aroma from here.

paige said...

Congratulations on your marriage! And congrats on the art of breadmaking! Looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Winnie I am very much enjoying your blog and your stories. It gives me much encouragement.

Irvina

Joy said...

Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment on Pardon My Poppet. This post caught my attention right away! My sister was widowed last year at 32 years of age with a 2 year old daughter and has started blogging herself at GoodGriefGuru.com I'm going to pass on your site to her, perhaps she'll start a 20 goal list herself!

Warmest regards,
Joy
http://www.PardonMyPoppet.com

Notes from Maggie's Farm said...

I bake bread from this book, too, and what a joy it has been! I'm still looking for that perfect french bread recipe, though. Have you settled on one?

Rachael said...

I have the main recipe from this book but haven't actually tried to make it--I even bought a pizza stone to bake the bread on over a year ago! It looks delicious!

Congratulations on finding love again!

Nada Manley said...

I love this post! We share the same passion for French bread! Yum! I will definitely check out that book! You have inspired me. And your pictures are gorgeous! Love the blog!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!